Thursday, December 31, 2015

Where Does the Time Go?

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." ~ Mohandas Gandhi

I wonder where the year went. I wonder why time goes by so fast. I just can't seem to slow it down. Sometimes I blame technology. Sometimes I blame my job. Most times I don't think about it because I'm so darn busy.

And therein lies the real reason - busyness. We call ourselves human beings but let's face it, there's very little "being" going on today and a whole lot of "doing". Most people hate to "kill time". They feel like every minute has to be filled or they're wasting it. But what's wrong with that? What's wrong with a long pregnant pause or stopping to watch the trail of a jet in the sky or watching kids play or taking the time to just chat with someone in the grocery? When was the last time you saw a butterfly and took time to really look at it - how its tiny antenna curled over its tiny little bug face? It's not like saving time is a real thing you know.

You can't put it in the "time bank" and get it back when you need it. That's just a lie we tell ourselves so we don't realize we haven't any control over how quickly it passes. What if what we think of as saving time is actually wasting it, and what we think of as wasting time is actually saving it?

With that in mind I'm thinking of putting this on my tombstone ~ "Her lies Kris. She wasted time." ~ It has a nice ring to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment