Saturday, March 12, 2016

Make Good Choices

Mikhaila always leaves you with, "Make good choices".

It's something she and her friends started saying to each other after a friend's Mom said it as the last bit of advice before they all went to a party.

Believe me, no one wakes up in the morning and says, "I think I'll make a bad decision today." We all do the best we can.

Decisions come from several places. One isn't better than the other. They're just different.

Sometimes we make decisions with our heads. We logically work out the details and check the boxes. It's pretty bloodless. I think of this as "the grown-up method".

Sometimes we go with "the gut". This is the visceral method. It comes from a place that's deep and "known". You may not know why, but you certainly know you do.

Sometimes we make decisions based on the heart, and . . . well, what could possibly go wrong there?! Frankly this method is the scariest. You're just hanging out there hoping your right because how you feel emotionally is the only thing you've got to go on.

Sometimes we foist our decisions on others because they're too hard or we're too afraid to make the wrong one. This is decision by proxy. It's like hearing your parent's voices in your head, which sometimes isn't a bad thing.

And once in a while, when we have no idea how to move forward, we punt and just put one foot in front of the other and hope it all works out for the best. Truth is we're all flawed individuals and sometimes we're just scared little kids hoping we've done the right thing.

So here's my thoughts on all this. I make the best decisions I can based on what I know. I try not to hurt anyone or get in their way. I try to make decisions based on who I am and what I believe. In the end I try to trust the Universe to take any wrong decisions I've made and make them right, because I'm pretty sure my heart is in the right place and in the end nothing is permanent and everything changes.

I really like what Mikhaila says. I always have this feeling of open possibilities when I walk away from her. I really do have choices. I have them everyday. And you know what? Today I'm going to go out there and make some really good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment