Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Interviews

So I was talking to someone today about inane interview questions. Questions like, "Why are you the best person for this position?" or "Why should we hire you?"

And I'm thinking to myself, "Well, that's stupid. Why do you want me to do your job for you? You're the one who's doing the hiring. You should be able to make up your mind based on the qualifications of the candidates. Did you even look at the resumes?"

I really think these are very lazy interview questions. It would be better to ask "What motivates you?" or "Tell me about accomplishments you're proud of". Otherwise this is just a pointless exercise and makes a potentially great employee uncomfortable.

A well-crafted interview process gets to the heart of who the candidate is as a person, what skill sets they bring to the position, and what potential they have.

I once went to ask the President of the company I was working at about a higher position that had suddenly opened. When I told him I wanted to apply he said, "What makes you think you can do it?" and I replied "What makes you think I can't?"

I got the job.

Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment