Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Rule # 62

It was one of my lowest points. At the time I had three years sobriety. I had just quit the most stressful job I'd ever had because I was having anxiety attacks. I was afraid and uncertain what would happen next, but I was willing to protect my sobriety at any cost.
So, after giving my notice, I drove down to my home town Dunkin' Donuts for an iced coffee and hopefully to run into a fellow recovering drunk there. I wasn't disappointed. There alone at a pink table was one of the crustiest most hard core old timers I had ever known.
I sat down and he immediately knew I was in trouble.
"What's going on?" he asked.
I cried as I explained the situation and how I wondered what I'd do. I had rent, a car loan, and other expenses.
"Well, do you have enough money for today?" he asked.
I figured he was going to offer me money, but I didn't need any so I said, "Yes."
"Then what the hell are you crying about?!" he replied. "Listen, when you get home pick up the '12 & 12'*, go to the middle of page 149 and read what it says. I guarantee the next time you see me you'll be smiling."
"The hell I will old man!" I thought to myself.
But I'm no fool, so I did what he said, and there as plain as day in the middle of page 149 it said - "Don't take yourself too damn seriously."
I'm sure you can guess what I had on my face the next time I saw him.
..................
* The "12 & 12" is the name commonly used for the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions published by Alcoholics Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment